An internship is such an important path that allows the student to accommodate himself to the struggling phase of working life which is going to be started. A student being involved in an internship is likely to gain the maximum experience of his life in terms of learning and eliminating the primary mistakes in the future.
Whether an internship is paid, for credit, unpaid or not-for-credit doesn't change its value. Internships are investments for your future.
Often, students do not want to pursue internships because they worry that they'll be stuck doing boring tasks like getting coffee or making copies and for the main reason no one wants to work for free. The truth is, although not all internships pay in cash they do pay in other ways.
It is important in the following ways:
1. It allows you to do practical things that we're learning in classrooms. Joining a company as an intern gives you the opportunity to work for hands-on in a professional environment.
2. As an intern, you're not just there to get coffee or run errands but you're there to gain actual work experience.
3. Internships help by teaching you more about the career path you are pursuing. Think of it like this –internships are a way to test drive possible jobs and explore different career options.
4. It opens several doors of opportunities. Internships provide you with the building blocks you need for your future.
5. Many internship opportunities help set the foundation for your career. It is important that you choose your internships based on your interests and career prospects.
As an intern, you have the opportunity to get your foot in the door with a company. Keep in mind that employers often use internships as a recruitment tool to test out future employees and in many cases, companies hire interns after graduation.
Your mentor at the previous internship might put in a word for you with your next employer because she happens to know her. Likewise, an internship could open many doors for you. Even a recommendation letter works wonders at places.
It gives you a brief scenario of what you are going to face in the future days of your full-time jobs. If you get to snag a beneficial internship, it can be remarkably valuable towards your career.
An internship enables you to gain first-hand exposure to working in the real world. You can acquire endless amounts of education in your life, however, that knowledge doesn't always translate to the working life.
One great thing about internships is that it teaches young professionals about the specific industries and companies they are interested in. Even the experience of trying something new is extremely beneficial. A lot of people get stuck in routines, staying in the same town, attending the same schools or surrounding themselves with the same people.
In a nutshell, doing an internship exposes you to new people in a more controlled and stable environment. Also, it allows you to implement your knowledge in real life and tackle them.
Internships give you a way to utilize your knowledge base, and expand it, by applying it in situations where the outcome is not the number of marks you score in an exam but something that could affect a whole company. Also, it often gives you the opportunity to attend meetings and events. By interacting with professionals you gain new connections and learn how to communicate in a professional environment.
Hence Internships are must-do for a college student specially when you are in the field of technology and nothing can replace the hands-on experience ever.